Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Map update

Hexen II - Time for another update. The last couple of days I've been adding lights throughout the level. I've been spending quite some time on this to make it look decent. The real pain with this is having to go through the build process time and time again to see the changes you made, because real-time lighting isn't displayed in the editor and the shadows that are being rendered from certain brushes are sometimes downright horrific.

To do:

  • Add some extra detail and structures to the map;
  • scripting;
  • add light, monsters, health, etc.;
  • polishing;
  • make a small boss-map;
  • testing;
  • preparing the package for distribution.

Friday, February 28, 2014

Another status report

Hexen II - It is with great joy that I announce that the layout of the first map of my Hexen II project is completed. Here's a small list of things that still need to be done:

  • Add some extra detail and structures to the map;
  • scripting;
  • add light, monsters, health, etc.;
  • polishing;
  • make a small boss-map;
  • testing;
  • preparing the package for distribution.
As you can see, there's still alot to be done. I hope I can release this project somewhere near the beginning of April. I'll keep you updated.

Monday, February 17, 2014

Switcharoom alpha version released

Doom - The community project called Switcharoom I participated in a long time ago has finally reached alpha stage. This means that all levels are finished and testing can begin. While I only contributed one small level, I'm happy to see that the full project is nearing completion. If you want to try it out and provide some feedback, you can download the alpha version here.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

As promised, a new screenshot!

Hexen II - After adding some major sections in the map I got confronted by a couple of dreaded BSP-holes. Apparently, QuArk doesn't handle more complex brushwork all that well so I had to look for off-grid vertices and manually move them back. This frustrating process took quite some time. As a result I became more cautious to avoid such problems in the future.

While you read this post I can inform you that a tremendous amount of progress has been made since the last update. Also, as promised, here's a new screenshot of one of the many area's that have been added during the last couple of weeks. This will also be the last screenshot I'm going to post before release. I've got to leave some surprises for the player, right?

Monday, January 20, 2014

MapConv tool updated

Amran recently posted that he released an update on his MapConv program. It's a nice little tool that allows you to make maps for Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3 and other games that use the same engine in Valve's Hammer editor by converting the map made in Hammer to the correct format. Besides that, it has a couple of other interesting features that you might want to check out. You can read Amran's original post here.

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Keeping track of things

I've made some changes to the website yet again. This time I've added a section of projects that are currently in development. You can now easily look for updates and give comments on a specific project by visiting its respective page.

I've also added a shoutbox. If you want to report a broken link, give comments about the website or talk about other game-related stuff, feel free to do so.

Saturday, January 11, 2014

A big leap forward
Hexen II


In my previous post I promised to put up an in-game screenshot of my map in progress. Sadly enough, I have to put that promise on hold for some time. The reason for this is the fact that I actually made more progress than I anticipated. I added many more area's to the map, some of which are still unclosed at the moment. This prevents me from compiling the map and playing it to make those screenshots. I have made a couple extra editor shots so you have an idea of some of the progress that has been made. Expect some cool new in-game images soon!